Self- Reflection

Geriatric medicine, varied from the previous rotations I have completed. It focused more on the chronic conditions and the multitude of conditions related to the patient. Managing the different conditions efficiently were an important aspect of geriatric medicine. This leads into poly-pharmacy and how unnecessary medicine should be avoided. It is important to note that many patients are not mentally capable of understanding their symptoms. One of the patients I saw at this rotation had severe traumatic brain injury as a teenager. He was non verbal and in a vegetative state and it was difficult to understand if he was experiencing any symptoms. It was through his labs, diagnostic imaging, and observing if he was behaving inconsistently from his baseline behavior that would help explain if anything new is occurring.

During this rotation, I was able to work in the wound care clinic. I did procedures such as wound packing and Unna Boots. I saw patients with stage 4 ulcers, arterial and venous insufficiency. Overall, on this rotation I learned how to better manage patients with a variety of diagnoses. I was able to solidify the knowledge I learned in didactic year about dementia, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s etc. I also learned how while interviewing population in geriatric medicine, it is important to be very patient and observant. Going forward, I will be able to apply the knowledge and experience I gained from this rotation to my practice.