Self Reflection

My surgery rotation was at New York Presbyterian- Queens. I spent three weeks on the General Surgery service, one week in Urology and one week in Neurosurgery. During my general surgery service I scrubbed into cases such as cholecystectomy, appendectomy, esophagectomy, inguinal hernia repairs, mastectomy, sentinel lymph node biopsy, mass excisions and  bowel resection. I was also able to watch robotic cases. I learned how to use a bovie, suture, and hand tie. During my subspecialty rotations, I scrubbed into surgeries such as lithotripsy, vasectomy, orchiopexy, laminectomy.  In the morning during rounds, I presented 1 to 2 patients. If the surgeries I was scheduled for ended early, I would help out the floor with dressing changes, following up with patients on the team, discharging patients and changing colostomy bags. I learned how to suture and do two handed hand ties. I was exposed to several different techniques of doing the surgeries. I was nervous to do presentations in the beginning, but as the rotation progressed I learned more about the importance of certain aspects of patients under the surgery service. For instance, pain control, passing flatus, and last bowel movement are all important. One of the residents provided me with a different perspective to look after patients. It is important to consider patients as one of your own. By doing so, you will provide them with the best level of care. Throughout this rotation, I learned that I need to increase my confidence level. I would hesitate to answer certain questions because I assumed I was incorrect even if I was not. On my last rotation this is a trait I will work on. Overall, this was a great fruitful rotation where I learned an immense amount of knowledge.