Self Reflection

My emergency medicine rotation was done at Metropolitan hospital. I looked forward to this rotation as I am interested in EM. This rotation was challenging to me in certain aspects. Each day, I would have a different perceptor which I am not accustomed to. Each preceptors’ behavior and teaching style is different. Although I still need more exposure and lessons on Ultrasound I learned how to conduct a FAST exam, renal ultrasound and do US guided IVs. The US is readily available in the ED and can help minimize the differential diagnosis. If during any moment I saw a provider taking the Ultrasound, I would ask to follow them so that I can become more familiar with the imaging and also the technique that they use. Something I tend to struggle with is completing the patient interview in a timely fashion. This partially stems due to two facts. Firstly, I struggled with interrupting patients if they go on a tangent. Secondly, I ask questions that may not be pertinent to the chief complaint. Going forward, during my rotations I will try to fix this by increasing my medical knowledge on the possible diagnosis. This will cause me to ask questions that are relative. I will also try to interrupt the patient by asking a follow up question to the information provided. I have also observed providers explaining to the patient that this an emergency medicine setting and to try to keep the information limited to the chief complaint. 

I evaluated multiple patients that spoke in Spanish. My Spanish is very limited and hence I always required a translator. However, this does hinder the patients care as it takes longer to converse with the patient and many times important information is lost in translation. Once I graduate from PA school, I will try to learn Spanish as it is a very common language spoken in the US. Overall, this rotation was great and I learned extremely important skills here that I will be able to use going forward.