Site Evaluation Summary

My site evaluator was PA Sajid Mohammed. I presented two patients, an article and pharmacology cards. We discussed Ottawa ankle/foot rules and the difference between Tylenol and Ibuprofen. These rules take part in the clinical decision making strategy which help determine if patients require radiographic imaging for ankle and midfoot injuries. A patient with ankle injury meets the requirements of radiographs if the patient has any one of the following :

• point tenderness at posterior edge or  tip lateral malleolus
  • point tenderness at posterior edge or tip medial malleolus
  • inability to weight bear  immediately after the injury or in the ED  

A patient with traumatic ankle pain qualifies for ankle radiographs if they have any one of the following: 

• point tenderness at the base of the fifth metatarsal
  • point tenderness at the navicular
  • inability to bear weight  immediately after the injury or in the ED 

We also discussed the plans of these patients and how it may vary in an emergency medicine setting. For instance, if a patient with midline C spine  pain status post neck or head trauma and is in the ER, a CT C spine would be obtained and NEXUS cannot be used to forgo C spine imaging. My article was about stem cell research in animals  for treatment of osteoporosis. I chose this article as I was interested in different treatments for osteoporosis. Research on stem cells with osteoporosis is fairly limited as the human trial for this is still ongoing.